Have a question about singing or an issue you'd like me to write about? Email it to me at michaelhanko.nyc@gmail.com!

February 25, 2010

Another benefit of the Alexander Technique

In re-reading my last posting, I realized that I had identified another benefit for studying the Alexander Technique—one that I have not seen expressed before or even thought about myself:

The Alexander Technique keeps me warmed up at all times.

The more I apply my Alexander thinking during the moderate activities of my daily life, the more readily I am able to embark on more demanding activities without special preparatory warm-up procedures.  In this way, I never need dip below a certain baseline level of warmed-up-ness.  If I don't lose my awareness or my state of dynamic coordination when I'm sitting on the couch or making dinner,  I won't have to regain it before going on a run or moving furniture.

With Alexander thinking, my easy activities become the warm-up for my more challenging ones.  I'm always ready for anything.

How efficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment