Have a question about singing or an issue you'd like me to write about? Email it to me at michaelhanko.nyc@gmail.com!

February 3, 2010

Sizing up the Competition - The Genius of Miranda

Sometimes I view instructional videos from various voice teachers to see how their philosophies and teaching methods compare with mine.  I have so far encountered no other teacher whose video showed an approach more congruent with mine than the one you are about to see in this posting.  You may wish to take notes in order to benefit maximally from what this teacher--who humbly introduces herself only as "Miranda"--has been gracious enough to share with the whole world community of singers:



You can click on the "Read more" link for my complete analysis of the work of this pedagogical genius.

Did that not take your breath away?  (Perhaps you should pause and perform Miranda's opening breathing exercise before reading on.)

What I admire: The teacher's self-presentation--make-up, video production standards, poise--exemplifies the professional.  She provides clearly explained, useful exercises for students to practice until they can save up enough money for a 3-hour private lesson of their own.  She debunks the harmful fallacy of inducing vibrato by shaking the neck and provides several healthier alternatives.

What I might have done differently: While I applaud Miranda's amazing ability to sing in both "high voice" and "low voice," I prefer to use the more traditional terms "head voice" and "chest voice."  Though it must be a constant challenge for a singer like Miranda of such bountiful gifts, I personally would strive not to intimidate my students by emphasizing my own skill to such a degree during a lesson.

Bottom line: If you have the financial resources to afford Miranda's lessons (once you have improved to the expensive level, I mean), by all means, get in touch with her.  If you are not quite so well off, you can continue to visit this blog (for free!), where I will do my best to interpret and make available her pedagogical gems. Of course, you can also check out her vast collection of instructional videos on Youtube, in which you will benefit not only from her knowledge, but also from the opportunity to see--and more importantly, hear--her walking her talk.  (Singing her thing?  Chanting her rant?  Trilling her skill?)

I sign off, humbled in the presence of greatness.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm watching American Idol. Holy cow!!! For real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to give away the secret, but here is the truth about Miranda from the website of Birdland, where she is appearing on Feb 21:

    Miranda Sings is an internet character created by Colleen Ballinger, and proliferated via YouTube. The character is a satire of increasingly common YouTube videos featuring mediocre or even bad singers who film themselves singing as a form of self promotion. Miranda is supposedly from Tacoma, Washington, sings comically off-key, and, when confronted by viewers who take the videos seriously, uses the catchphrase "Haters back off!" The characterization includes facial tics, unusually active eyebrows and a crooked smile. She also wears lipstick drawn beyond all natural borders and often dances stiffly to the music she is performing. Ms. Ballinger's character has enjoyed widespread popularity, particularly among musical theatre fans, and has recently appeared as Miranda Sings at live club and theater venues in New York, Los Angeles and London.

    ReplyDelete